The sheep need to make a positive contribution to the overall farming enterprise. We are selecting for:
- Growth rate
- Early reproductive maturity
- Muscling for carcase quality
- Fleece shedding and low maintenance
- Medium sized adult sheep.
- We want fast growing sheep, not horses
- Ability to conceive, produce and raise twins
Performance is recorded and managed using the world leading BLUP system at Sheep Genetics Australia.
The Dorpers and White Dorpers are assessed as part of the “Terminal” group of sheep, despite most commercial producers retaining a portion of the ewe progeny for breeders.
This grouping now includes “Shedders” so the performance of the shedding breeds can be compared.